This Chinese Chicken and Black Eyed Peas or black eyed beans soup is another Chinese home cooking soup. It is not only popular, but so easy to make and packed full of nutritional values. Similarly, soup has always been a one pot comfort food for the whole family. Moreover, it is always at the top of the list for my home cooking menu all year round. Traditionally, they cook this Chinese Chicken and Black Eyed Peas soup with pork spare ribs and black eye peas. But sometimes they add chicken feet and raw peanuts too.
For my own home cooking and naturally gluten free 4 ingredients Chinese Chicken and Black Eyed Peas Soup recipe. Besides, I am using skinless and boneless chicken breasts, black eye peas, dried red dates and goji berries. This Chinese Chicken and Black Eyed Peas soup recipe is not only gluten free. But also low carb, dairy free, soy free, egg free and nut free. This is very much a healthy and hearty soup for all ages in the family.
You may also like my other soup recipes:
- Chinese Lotus Root and Pork Soup;
- Chinese Pork and Black Bean Soup;
- Homemade Fish Balls with Seaweed Soup; and
- Pork and Prawn Wonton Soup.
History and Facts of Black Eyed Peas
The black eyed peas (Vigna unguiculata), also called black eyed beans or goat peas. Likewise they are a genus of cowpeas and belong to the family of legumes. Although we refer to them as peas, they are essentially beans. In addition, these edible beans acquired their name from their looks, cream coloured with a black eye in the middle. They are superb when we add them to soups, stews and salad. And we can purchase them dried, canned and frozen.
Black eyed peas originated from West Africa. Moreover, farmers cultivated them in Asian countries like China and India since ancient times. Slaves introduced black eyed peas to Southern United States from West Africa as early as the 17th century. They used black eyed peas initially as food for livestock. Later became an important staple food for the enslaved Africans. Today, they consume black eyed peas on New Year’s Day in Southern United States. Because they believe that these peas will bring good luck. As these peas are a symbolism of coins. Furthermore, black eyed peas are customarily a crucial ingredient in African American “soul food”.
Black Eyed Peas Nutritional Values and Health Benefits
When incorporated as part of a well-balanced diet, black eyed peas have many nutritional values. They are low in fats and calories and low in glycemic index. High in dietary fiber and a substitute form of protein especially for vegans and vegetarians. They are also an excellent source of essential vitamins and minerals. Including like folate (vitamin B9), vitamin A, calcium, magnesium and potassium. Additionally, they are a good source of thiamine (vitamin B1), riboflavin (vitamin B2), niacin (vitamin B3) and vitamin B6. As well as zinc, iron, and phosphorus.
Specifically, the health benefits of black eyed peas may include:
- Strengthening the central nervous system;
- Lower risks of neurodegenerative diseases like Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s disease;
- Support healthy digestive system;
- Lower blood pressure and risks of stroke;
- Decrease cardiovascular diseases;
- Prevent anemia;
- Boost healthy eye and skin;
- Reduce risks of neural tube defects in pregnant women; and
- Aid in weight loss.
Chinese Chicken and Black Eyed Peas Soup
Method 1 – Instant Pot Using Pressure Cooker Function:
- Place chicken pieces, black eye beans, dried red dates and goji berries into a large instant pot. Mix the ingredients well together.
- Add water to maximum level indicated by the instant pot. Cover and lock lid.
- Select pressure cooker function and set cooking time for 30 minutes.
- Let the instant pot pressure cooker rest for another 10 minutes. Then carefully and slowly release pressure. Unlock lid and add salt to taste before serving.
Method 2 – Stove Top Cooking:
- Place 4 litres of water into a large covered pot and bring to a boil.
- Add black eye peas, dried red dates and goji berries into the pot, bring to a boil again. Then turn the heat to low and simmer for 30 mins.
- Then add in all the chicken pieces and cook for another 1 hour or until black eye peas are soft and tender. Add salt to taste.