These Chinese egg cakes (also called paper wrapped cakes) and sometimes referred to as mini egg cakes. Likewise, they regularly serve this type of Chinese pastry in Hong Kong and Macau. Besides, they also sell them in Chinese bakery shops worldwide. Most of us who grew up in Southeast Asia have fond childhood memories of eating these popular egg cakes. They are light and soft, essentially chiffon cakes or sponge cakes wrapped in baking paper and baked in the oven. Then they serve these Chinese egg cakes in the baking paper used to wrap them. Traditionally, they steamed these egg cakes and not baked. But with the invention of oven, baked version is now the preferred method for making these egg cakes.
You may also like my other gluten free cupcakes, muffins and cakes recipes:
- Vegan Pandan Coconut Cupcakes;
- Paleo Vegan Mandarin Orange Almond Muffins;
- Chinese New Year Steamed Prosperity Cakes (Fa Gao);
- Ma Lai Gao (Chinese Steamed Sponge Cake); and
- Chinese Black Sesame Cake.
Methods of Making Chinese Egg Cakes
There are two methods of making these egg cakes. The classic method is using the chiffon cake method. By separating the egg yolks and egg whites then whisked individually and folded in together. Another method is the sponge cake method by whisking the eggs with sugar until light and fluffy. Then they fold the flour mixture into the meringue. Both methods result in a soft and delicate texture cakes. Commonly, they serve these simple and scrumptious egg cakes during breakfast or as a snack during teatime. For my gluten free Chinese egg cakes recipe, I am using the sponge cake method. Besides, my main ingredients are gluten free self-raising flour, corn starch, eggs and castor sugar. Moreover, my Chinese egg cakes recipe is not only gluten free. But also vegetarian, dairy free, soy free and nut free.
Chinese Egg Cakes (Paper Wrapped Cakes)
- Preheat fan-forced oven to 180C or 350F.
- Sift the gluten free self-raising flour, baking powder and xanthan gum into a large bowl.
- In a large bowl of stand mixer, add in all the eggs and castor sugar and whisk on medium speed for 15 minutes until light and fluffy. Then turn to the lowest speed and whisk for 2 minutes to remove large bubbles.
- Add in the flour mixture prepared in step 1, ¼ at a time, into the egg mixture, fold using a hand whisk until well combined.
- Add the extra virgin oil and vanilla extract and combine well with a hand whisk.
- Line the muffin pans with 12 muffin wraps.
- Spoon and fill the batter equally into each of the 12 muffin wraps. Fill up to around ⅔ of each muffin wrap.
- Bake the egg cakes for 15 minutes or until golden brown and tooth pick comes out clean.
- Cool in the muffin pans for 5 minutes before removing to cool further on a cooling rack.