A simple and quick gluten free Chinese stir-fry dish cooked with the all-time popular kale and pork. Substitute pork for chicken or even beef if preferred. Also known as Brassica oleracea, a group of cruciferous vegetable, devoured worldwide. This category of vegetables include broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussels sprouts, turnips and the extra exotic kohlrabi (German turnip or turnip cabbage), rutabaga (cross between turnip and cabbage) and bok choy.
Kale is often claimed to be a superfood and a dietary powerhouse due to its nutritional value. It contains vitamins A, K, C and B1 (thiamin), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B6, B9 (folate), E and K. It also contains minerals like manganese, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, iron and copper. It is abundant in antioxidants from beta carotene, vitamin C, flavonoids (quercetin and kaempferol) and polyphenols.
In addition to being very high in fiber or roughage like all green leafy vegetables, kale also has very low fat content, majority of the fat is in the form of omega-3 fatty acid named alpha linolenic acid. Therefore, it is very low in calories and may help in promoting weight loss. Furthermore, kale has substantial amount of carotenoid antioxidants, mainly lutein and zeaxanthin, discovered to improve eye health by reducing the chances of cataracts and macular degeneration.
As a result of Kale’s high nutritional values, it has numerous health benefits. It has anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, anticoagulant and antioxidant properties. Kale can also assist in decreasing the risk of heart disease, dementia, stroke and depression.
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 600 g skinless and boneless pork leg or pork tenderloin trimmed and thinly sliced to about 3cm in length
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 cm ginger peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large bunch of curly green kale stems below leaves removed, leaves and ribs cut into 3cm to 4cm lengthwise
- Steamed rice to serve
For the Sauce:
For the Marinade:
- 2 tablespoon of gluten free light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of pale or medium dry sherry
- 1 ½ teaspoons gluten free corn maize starch
- 1 teaspoon of ground white pepper
- Combine pork with marinade in a large bowl and mix well.
- Prepare and mix the sauce ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Heat up a wok with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, add the pork pieces and stir-fry on medium to high heat for 3 minutes or until just cooked through. Remove from wok and set aside. Clean wok with kitchen paper towel.
- Heat up the wok with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, add garlic and ginger, stir-fry until lightly golden on low heat.
- Add in the kale and stir-fry for another 2 minutes on medium to high heat. Add the pork and the sauce prepared and stir-fry for another 2 to 3 minutes or until kale turns bright green.
- Serve immediately with steamed rice.