Turmeric cauliflower rice is a simple twist to the plain cauliflower rice. It has added aromatic fragrance from the turmeric powder and cumin powder. My inspiration for this recipe is from the Malaysian fragrant Turmeric rice or yellow rice. You may like to try my Turmeric Basmati Rice recipe. It is extremely delicious when served with dishes like Malaysian chicken curry and beef rendang. And fried dishes like Chinese lemon chicken, Chinese five spice fried prawns, salt and pepper prawns. It is also delicious with fried fish or fried chicken like Fried Five Spice Chicken with Special Chilli Sauce. You can also replace coconut rice with turmeric cauliflower rice for Nasi Lemak with Sambal Ikan Bilis.
This turmeric cauliflower rice recipe is not only naturally gluten free. It is also vegan, paleo, keto, Whole 30, dairy free, soy free, egg free, nut free and corn free.
You may also like my plain Cauliflower Rice recipe.
Versatility of cauliflower as food
Cauliflower-based products has increased tremendously over the last decade. These products include cauliflower flour for pizza crust and prepacked cauliflower rice. Cauliflower is popular as it has bland taste, not only highly versatile but nutritious too. We often make cauliflower into cauliflower steaks, thick plant blocks, roasted and served like a beef steak. Next is the Buffalo cauliflower, coated with breadcrumbs and fried like chicken wings. Then comes the cauliflower pizza crust and cauliflower pasta that looks exactly like gluten pasta. As well as mashed cauliflower as a alternative for mashed potato.
In addition, we can also include cauliflower into other recipes like muffins, gnocchi, casseroles, stews, as well as brownies. Cauliflower is just like tofu and will absorb the flavour of other dishes with lots of sauce and full flavour. For example, braises, stews, casseroles, curries, stir fries and chilli based sauces and dishes. We can use cauliflower rice as a low carb replacement for rice daily. Particularly in fried rice, stir fries, Asian rice bowls, taco bowls and stuffed peppers. We can also add it raw to salads and sushi instead of rice. Nowadays, you can even get cauliflower bites, chips, puffs, crackers or pretzels in health food stores and supermarkets.
For history, types, health benefits and nutritional values of cauliflower. Check out my post for How to Make Cauliflower Rice recipe.
Turmeric Cauliflower Rice
For the Garnish:
- 2 sprigs of coriander cilantro including stems, roughly cut into 1 to 2 cm lengthwise
- 2 spring onions scallions thinly sliced lengthwise
- Wash and thoroughly dry the cauliflower. Remove any green leaves.
For processing the cauliflower using a food processor:
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and cut the core into small pieces.
- Place all the cut cauliflower pieces into a food processor and pulse for around 20 seconds until the texture resembles rice.
For cooking the cauliflower rice:
- Heat up a wok or frying pan with 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
- Transfer all the cauliflower rice and salt into the wok or frying pan and briefly stir-fry for 1 minute on medium heat.
- Add in the turmeric powder and cumin powder plus half of the spring onions (scallions) and stir-fry for another 2 to 4 minutes on medium heat. Stirring frequently.
- Garnish with some coriander (cilantro) and spring onions (scallions) and serve as a side dish or as a substitute for rice.