This is a typical and very popular Chinese confinement dish for women during the first 30 days of their postnatal period. In traditional Chinese medicine, this dish is believed to help promote blood circulation, eliminate wind, keeps the body warm and helps with recovery of the body. But this dish is not only enjoyed by women during their confinement period, but also highly relished by everyone in the family as a Chinese home cooking comfort dish. Normally cooked with whole chicken, old ginger, rice wine (usually has wheat added) and sometimes black fungus mushrooms added. For my gluten free version, I am using skinless and boneless chicken thighs, ginger and pale or medium dry sherry. It is not only very easy to make but also very delicious due to the fragrant spiciness of ginger and the aromatic dry sherry. This naturally gluten free recipe is also dairy free, nut free, egg free and corn free.
Ginger, scientific name Zingiber officinale, is a brown, tropical root that originated from China. It has been used in traditional Indian and Chinese medicines and as a spice for many centuries. Ginger root contains essential oils like gingerol and zingerone. It has been used since ancient times for its anti-inflammatory, anti-flatulence, carminative and anti-bacterial properties. Other spices related to the same class of spices are turmeric, galangal and cardamom. Ginger was customarily used by doctors in Eastern medicine to warm and stimulate the body and for treating digestive and respiratory disorders. Studies have shown that ginger can be used to improve vertigo, nausea and motion sickness during pregnancy. Other studies have also shown that ginger can help relief pain and swelling in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
Chicken and Ginger Wine
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1.3 kg 3Ib/46oz skinless and boneless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 5cm to 6cm pieces
- 100 g 3.5oz ginger peeled and thinly sliced into thin matchsticks (julienned)
- 100 ml dry or medium dry sherry
- 50 ml water
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Steamed rice to serve
For the garnish:
- 2 spring onions finely chopped
- Heat up a wok with 5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and stir-fry the ginger on low heat until lightly golden and fragrant. Stirring frequently.
- Add the chicken pieces and stir-fry for 5 minutes on medium to high heat. Then add in the dry or medium dry sherry, sesame oil, salt and water and stir-fry for another 3 minutes. Bring to a boil and then turn the heat to low, cover with lid and simmer for 15 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with spring onion and serve with steamed rice.