There are two different variations of Chinese lemon chicken commonly prepared by Chinese restaurants all around the world. One version is deep fried chicken pieces, covered with a thick and sweet lemon sauce and sprinkled with sesame seeds. Another version especially popular in Australia is coating chicken breasts in batter, deep frying them and served with lemon-glazed sauce. For my gluten free version of this well-liked Chinese takeout dish, I am pan frying the chicken breasts marinated with spices and coated with gluten free corn (maize) flour. Then the chicken will be served with a lemon-glazed sauce. This recipe is not only gluten free, but also soy free and egg free.
Boneless and skinless chicken breasts have constantly been a favourite white meat for lean proteins. Not only highly versatile and delicious, chicken breasts have plenty of nutritional and health benefits. Chicken breasts is an abundant source of vitamin B3 (niacin), vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid), vitamin B6 (pyridoxine), phosphorus, potassium and selenium. Health benefits of chicken breasts include: may reduce risks of cancer, aid in weight loss, promote cardiovascular health, and may lower the risks of strokes.
Lemon is an excellent source of vitamin C and moderate source of vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) and potassium. Health benefits of lemon include: may help prevent kidney stones, reduce cardiovascular diseases and strokes, reduce risk of cancers, treat indigestion and constipation and prevent risk of anaemia by aiding the absorption of iron.
- Rice bran oil for pan frying
- 1.3 kg 4 large skinless and boneless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into half diagonally across the chicken breasts
- Gluten free corn maize flour for coating the chicken
- Lemon slices as garnish optional
- Steamed rice to serve
For The Marinade:
For the Lemon Sauce:
- 1 large Lemon juiced (100ml)
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 tablespoons raw brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon gluten free corn maize starch dissolve in 2 tablespoons water
- 100 ml water
- In a saucepan, add all the ingredients for the lemon sauce except the gluten free corn (maize) starch. Bring to a boil and then turn the heat to low. Add in the corn (maize) starch water, stirring frequently, until the lemon sauce has thickened (note that the lemon sauce will thicken further when it cools down). Set aside in a small bowl.
- Marinade the chicken with the marinade prepared, rub and mix well into the chicken pieces. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Lightly coat the chicken pieces with gluten free corn (maize) flour, shake off excess.
- Heat up a non-stick frying pan with some rice bran oil and pan fry the chicken pieces for 3 minutes on each side or until chicken are golden brown. Pan fry in 3 to 4 batches, adding more rice bran oil as needed.
- Pre-heat fan forced oven to 160C or 320F. Place the chicken pieces in a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake the chicken pieces for 8 minutes or until the chicken pieces are well browned.
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces, serve with lemon sauce and steamed rice.