Beef and asparagus stir-fry is a classic weeknight dinner. It is not only quick and easy to prepare, it brings together vegetables and meat in an individual dish. Not only gluten free, it is extremely healthy as well and requires only rice as a complement.
Asparagus is the much loved spring vegetable of numerous fans of fine food. Green asparagus is consumed globally and nurtured as a gourmet vegetable, therefore considered a delicacy. Only the young unsurfaced shoots of the asparagus plant are eaten. It has a bitter and slightly pungent taste, widely known for its diuretic properties and is high in potassium. It is also an exceptional source of B vitamin folate.
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 800 g beef rump steak thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 cm ginger peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 bunches medium asparagus woody stems trimmed and cut into 4 to 5 cm pieces crosswise
- 3 spring onions sliced into 4cm lengthwise (white and green parts)
- Steamed rice to serve
For the Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon gluten free fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon gluten free oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon gluten free light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons pale or medium dry sherry
For the Marinade:
- 1 tablespoon of gluten free light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of pale or medium dry sherry
- 1 ½ teaspoons gluten free corn maize starch
- 1 teaspoon of ground white pepper
- Combine beef with marinade in a large bowl and mix well.
- Prepare and mix the sauce ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Heat up a wok with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, stir-fry the beef on medium to high heat for 3 minutes or until nearly cooked through. Remove beef and set aside. Discard juice. Clean wok with kitchen paper towel.
- Heat up the wok with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, add garlic and ginger, and stir-fry until lightly golden on low heat. Then add the asparagus and spring onions, stir-fry for another 2 minutes on medium to high heat. Return the beef to the wok. Add the sauce and stir-fry for another 2 minutes or until the beef is cooked through.
- Serve immediately with steamed rice.