Beef and asparagus stir-fry is a classic weeknight dinner. It is not only quick and easy to prepare, it brings together vegetables and meat in an individual dish. This Beef and Asparagus Stir-Fry is not only gluten free, it is extremely healthy as well and requires only rice as a complement.
Asparagus is the much loved spring vegetable of numerous fans of fine food. Green asparagus is consumed globally and nurtured as a gourmet vegetable, therefore considered a delicacy. Only the young unsurfaced shoots of the asparagus plant are eaten. It has a bitter and slightly pungent taste, widely known for its diuretic properties and is high in potassium. It is also an exceptional source of B vitamin folate.
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 800 g beef rump steak thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 cm ginger peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 bunches medium asparagus woody stems trimmed and cut into 4 to 5 cm pieces crosswise
- 3 spring onions sliced into 4cm lengthwise (white and green parts)
- Steamed rice to serve
For the Sauce:
For the Marinade:
- 1 tablespoon of gluten free light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of pale or medium dry sherry
- 1 ½ teaspoons gluten free corn maize starch
- 1 teaspoon of ground white pepper
- Combine beef with marinade in a large bowl and mix well.
- Prepare and mix the sauce ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Heat up a wok with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, stir-fry the beef on medium to high heat for 3 minutes or until nearly cooked through. Remove beef and set aside. Discard juice. Clean wok with kitchen paper towel.
- Heat up the wok with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, add garlic and ginger, and stir-fry until lightly golden on low heat. Then add the asparagus and spring onions, stir-fry for another 2 minutes on medium to high heat. Return the beef to the wok. Add the sauce and stir-fry for another 2 minutes or until the beef is cooked through.
- Serve immediately with steamed rice.